Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crab Grass

No one can look at my front yard and exclaim, "Oh my, I saw that yard in Better Homes and Gardens!" In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I even suggested my yard be featured in any magazine, it might be Better Weeds and Dumpsites. I never claimed to be a gardener, even when I actually try. I really admire those dedicated gardeners who cultivate an oasis around their homes. Gardening is truly a talent.

Today I was weeding my weed garden which had successfully choked out any sign of floral life that Jack and I placed in it this past spring. The crab grass has literally taken over my pink iris to the point you can't even find the iris leaves. When I pull on a vine of this nasty stuff, it keeps going for about one or two feet before it finally breaks. It has so entwined itself with my moss rose plants, that I can't pull out the crab grass without taking the moss rose with it.

Crab grass, known in botany circles as digitaria, is actually found in most areas of the world. I don't think it's growing in the Arctic Circle, though. I really do believe that crab grass is more than just a weed. It's the curse of the Devil. Call me crazy, but who else could come up with something that is almost impossible to kill, keeps growing no matter what the weather (drought kills everything else but this stuff), and seems to have no pests to feed on it? I've pulled out enough of this stuff to wrap around the world twice!

Sometimes I come across a sprout of crab grass and start to pull on it. It won't budge. I often wonder how deep these roots go. From what I have found, the roots are rather shallow. I really don't believe this. I, frankly, believe the roots go straight to the other side of the world. There is probably some poor farmer pulling on the same crab grass weed that I am and we are having a tug of war.

Some scientists predict that roaches will survive a nuclear holocaust. I think we should add crab grass to this list too.

No comments: