Tuesday, December 31, 2019

End of Year Ramblings

Here we are again, saying goodbye to another year and getting ready to greet a new one. I've seen a few references on Facebook about returning to the Roaring Twenties with pictures of flapper girls. While the reference is cute, let's not forget what happened at the end of that decade. Not a fun time and best not repeat it. Even so, I look at those flapper girls and remember that my mother's generation would be about 100 years old now.

2019 was a busy year for us. Busier than I realized since I discovered I hadn't made any blog entries for most of the year. Sorry about that.

I got a job promotion at Macy's - at least that's what it sounded like. I'm no longer assigned to one register and ring out customers. I'm supposed to move about the floor, helping customers with product questions and assist in enhancing their purchases. More one on one sales. This sounded interesting and challenging. The reality has become that I'm lunch relief, department coverage when people don't show up for work, fulfillment help, rack runner, and clean up crew. I'm not happy.

This year we lost three pieces of our hearts. Our senior cat, Rocky, died last June of bladder cancer. He was 17 years old. During the course of his lifetime, he helped our kids get through a lot of life challenges. He was an emotional support cat before it was a thing.  We also lost my husband's aunt. She was a petite lady who was amazingly up on the latest technology. Not bad for someone born almost a hundred years ago. We also lost his mother a month after her sister passed. Irene was a phenomenal cook and I believe my kids picked up her innate ability to put together delicious foods right off the top of their heads.

We gained a new family member - a tiny rescue kitty who we named Casper. Actually, Sami wanted Chicken Nugget, I wanted Vanilla Bean, but since Jackie was in charge of the kitten's care, he got naming rights. Sami gave him to us at Christmas. At only 6 weeks, he has been a fluffy ball of energy, curiosity, and entertainment. Miss Rosie, however, isn't so sure about this new family member.

Christmas morning greeted us with a glorious sunrise. While I have to sign off now to take care of household business, please enjoy the picture. Happy New Year to all!

No comments: