Friday, February 05, 2016

St. Louis' Suburban Poor

Many, many people have commented on today's economy. The President, in his State of the Union Address, seemed to feel that the economy has made a turn-around. Well, respectfully stated, I don't agree.

The next few blog posts will be addressing my own experiences with being in what is called "The Working Poor" or as I call it, "The Suburban Poor." These posts will not be a rant, but a presentation of a situation and, hopefully, a few ideas to make things better.

In 2002, I was laid off from a job that paid me the highest salary I ever earned. Had I not been laid off, I probably would have been able to take my young family on our first, ever family vacation. While that job would not have put us in a fancier neighborhood, our bills were finally getting caught up and we were getting out of debt. Things looked rosie for a change.

I took the layoff well; I detested my job and saw the layoff as an opportunity to further my education and get that bachelor's degree I had been talking about for so long. I was foolishly confident that I would land another job in no time - I had the skills and experience that were in demand.

God decided otherwise.

Since 2002, I completed my BA in advertising/marketing communications. Looking for work in my chosen field was consistently met with, "Sorry, but we are looking for someone more qualified." Translation: I'm too old. My husband's disability needed more of my attention as did my young children. I volunteered at their schools and scout meetings.My elderly mother was showing signs of dementia, but I didn't pick up on those signals. When she fell down the basement stairs and broke her neck, I realized I needed to take charge of her care. Her dementia became worse as well as her health and she passed away three years ago. At no time during all these years, had I ever been able to pursue a full-time job. I am still the primary care-giver for my husband.

I have been working retail for the last five years and making less than I did 20 years ago. Needless to say, bill paying is almost impossible. We have applied for help through the state only to be told that I am making too much money. Jack's disability only covers the house payment and a utility bill or two. My meager paycheck doesn't cut it and we often alternate what bills get paid each month. Eventually, this arrangement catches up with us and then we have to apply for help somewhere else. However, help isn't always available. Did I mention we are back in debt?

Now we are facing collection calls, utility shut offs, and possible foreclosure on our home. The nursing home that cared for my mother is suing me for unpaid bills. While I don't carry credit card debt (I learned that lesson already), I took out loans on the house. Things here are very bleak. My husband's mother was helping us as best as she could, but now his siblings are threatening us with a lawsuit if we don't pay her back. She is also very elderly.

Over the course of history, the poor have always been punished or shunned to "their place." It seems that it's easy to pick on the vulnerable of our society. Jesus cautioned us, or rather - admonished us, "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."(Matthew 25:40 - King James version) Why is this message so lost on our society and governance?

Next blog - Food Pantries and Creative Cooking.


No comments: