Sunday, December 27, 2009


Christmas 2009

We got through our first Christmas without Jack's dad, Jim. It was tough but we made it. There was no large family gathering like usual - it was just too soon. Mom didn't even want to put up a tree or send out Christmas cards. Most family members didn't send out cards this year. We tried to keep up with some traditions - sending cards, big meal and some decorations, but it was still not quite the same. We had several family movie nights. Seemed to help.

I threw myself into the final preparations of the family cookbook and got it printed out for an amazing price. The cookbook was received well and now I'm getting requests to print more copies. Pretty cool feeling.

I baked up a storm as well - I haven't baked this many cookies in years - chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin apple, chocolate crinkles, sugar cookies shaped as candy canes, and gingerbread men complete with cinnamon red hot belly buttons. I didn't bake quick breads this year - just wasn't really motivated.

Sami decorated the house for Christmas, but she kept it subdued. She did a great job as usual. Today she is taking down the decorations. Seems a little early to me, but if she wants to do it, I'll let her. I think she just wants to keep moving forward.

I want to believe the worst is over, but we still need to get through Jim and Irene's wedding anniversary in February, and Jim's birthday and Father's Day both in June. I know we will make it, but some days are harder than others. It helps to know we have the support of our friends and other family members. Sami's scout leader checked in on us Christmas evening and a fellow parishioner stopped by this morning (during a snow storm) to give us Communion.

I'm proud to say we got through this first Christmas. We will get through the next one and the next one after that and each one will get a little easier - or not. But with faith in God, we will get through it.

No comments: