Monday, February 02, 2009

SUPER BOWL 43 - WOW!!!

I have never denied that I don't understand football. I recognize a tackle, a fumble (sometimes), and a touchdown. That's about where it begins and ends for me. I don't follow pro, college, or even high school football (unless its the Turkey Day game between Kirkwood High School and Webster Groves High School - Kirkwood is my alma mater). I didn't pay much attention to Super Bowl until the Rams got in it back in 2000. I guess you could say, I'm a recent follower.

However, last night's game was the most exciting thing I have watched in quite a long time. My husband, my kids and I were screaming and carrying on such noise that I'm surprised the neighbors didn't complain. Maybe they couldn't hear us over their own racket. I have never, ever seen a 100 yard drive in my life - my limited knowledge of the game still told me this was impressive. Of course, at the end of the game, fans and players were euphoric. I thought it was really cool to have Joe Namath bring in the trophy. However, what struck me is how old and short he looked. I guess I'll always have the memories of him on TV as he looked in the 70's, but I didn't think he was that short. The Steelers looked like giants next to him.

Now, let's talk about those commercials. Some were so-so and some were hysterical. We need more funny ads these days. My personal favorites were the stick-retrieving Clydesdale, the Coke heist, the Lizard Lake, and always the talking babies. CareerBuilder had a good one too, but I can't remember the name of it. I couldn't quite connect with the Doritos and the snowglobe commercial, but it's not unusual for me to miss a point in some of these ads. The movie previews were good as well. I'm so definitely going to see Monsters vs. Aliens and my husband and our son will be watching Star Trek, Transformers Revenge, and GI Joe. My 13-year-old daughter thinks GI Joe is gay - but not to worry, she thinks everything is gay.

Last night was amazing and while my son is mourning the Cardinals' loss (it's the Cardinals, go figure), we are all grateful for the distraction from the real world problems we are facing these days. CONGRATULATIONS STEELERS!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth - Good article, nicely put together, BUT no mention of our hometown hero, Kurt Werner. Now, how about the game HE played! Of course, the Steelers were the favorite to win, but I loved the effort put forth by the Cardinals. They played their heart out and didn't lose by too much. I'm hearing through the grapevine, Kurt may be retiring and returning to St. Louis to do more of his charitable work. I hope so! Can you tell I'm a fan. Talk to you Later, Ginny